We are recruiting a Policy and Public Affairs Officer to provide support to a charity’s policy and public affairs work. We are looking for someone with a strong policy and research background, ideally with knowledge of policy areas affecting children and young people, or skills and apprenticeships. The Policy and Public Affairs Officer will produce evidence-based policy and research work which puts the voice of our service users at its heart. They will also play a key role in disseminating this research to parliamentarians in the UK and devolved governments, to change government policy for the betterment of our service users.
- Experience in a policy or public affairs role that seeks to influence and persuade decision makers and opinion formers
- In depth knowledge and understanding of public policy in employment services, skills and apprenticeships, mental health and wellbeing, justice or education
- A genuine interest in social policy and championing the interests of beneficiaries
- Experience of researching and analysing complex public policy areas
- Experience of using research to write detailed and clear reports such as consultation responses, briefing notes and in-depth policy papers
- Experience of working with MPs or devolved parliamentarians
- Gravitas and leadership presence, and excellent presentation skills.
- Demonstrable ability to research and analyse complex public policy areas
- Ability to analyse complex data and produce concise findings
- Demonstrable ability to produce detailed and clear reports based on research
- Ability to develop reasoned and evidence based arguments
- Confident to network with parliamentarians and stakeholders and establish good working relationships
- Able to work with the wider policy and communications department to create an integrated function, sharing duties and representing other marketing and communications functions from time to time
- Willingness to undertake frequent travel around sites in the UK, including occasional overnight stays.
- Knowledge of policy areas affecting children and young people, or skills and apprenticeships would be an advantage
- Experience of giving internal and external presentations
- Experience of organisations going through significant positive change.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Complete research work into new or developing government and opposition party policy identifying risks and opportunities
- Complete research work to identify the needs of our beneficiaries within a changing social economic environment, including the development of staff and customer surveys, interviewing staff, customers and stakeholders and desk research.
- Completing the analysis of internal and externally published performance data, labour market information, and demographic information as well as other qualitative and quantitative data.
- Support the development of recommendations for organisational positioning based on research, evaluation and impact assessment
- Working collaboratively with Policy and Public Affairs Manager to develop and implement organisational messaging. This includes managing the messaging matrix.
- Prepare briefings in preparation for meetings and visits from elected parliamentarians and government officials.
- Support the organization and management of visits from parliamentarians, local councillors, government officials and other key stakeholders.
- Identify, understand and maintain contact with key stakeholders and decision makers for the Trust to deliver our strategic plan.
- Support research projects into current and new business areas working closely with other Business Development teams
- Support the production of reports and papers, including thought leadership pieces, in conjunction with other departments across the organisation.
- Lead on writing responses to national, devolved and local government consultations.
- Develop and present briefing papers for internal staff and volunteers to increase awareness and understanding of developing policy areas
- Represent the organisation at external events, including policy seminars and conferences.
- Prepare presentations for the CEO and/or other senior leaders in the organisation.
- Act as the day to day lead for the organisation’s impact reporting framework
By applying for this role, you are agreeing to your CV being held on our database, stored confidentially and securely. Your CV will be used and kept only to provide the recruitment services you have requested from us, we will only send your details to clients once discussed with you and your data will not be shared with any other third party. You can ask for the deletion or correction of your data, or to opt out of this service at any point by informing CFA.